Site Name: Camp Whitman
Position Title: Executive Director
Position Type: Year-Round
Location (city and state): Penn Yan, NY
Salary Range: $65,000 to $75,000
This position is eligible for health insurance coverage and pension contribution by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Board of Pensions or its equivalent per Board of Pensions guidelines. Alternative medical and retirement contributions may be negotiated for non-ordained employees.
Holiday, Vacation & Sick Leave:
5 weeks (or 200 hours) of PTO (paid time off), plus 10 paid holidays and 40 hours of paid sick leave each calendar year.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities Needed:
● At least 25 years of age.
● At least 5 years in a camp leadership role or equivalent in a school/church setting.
● Staff hiring and supervision experience.
● Budgeting and fiscal management experience.
● Program and curriculum development experience.
● Deep personal faith and an interest and willingness to participate in the faith formation aspects
● Interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to relate to, teach and lead a variety of age groups
including working with college-age counselors, and adult participants/volunteers.
● Strong communication, organizational, delegation and time management skills.
● Strong technological skills, i.e., Google Suite, Zoom, social media, databases etc.
● Physical, spiritual and emotional stamina to maintain energy and patience during overnight and
extended work periods for retreats and camp sessions.
● Experience and ability to live and work in an outdoor, rustic setting.
● Positivity, creativity, enthusiasm, energy, patience, flexibility, independence, and an ability to
Purpose: The purpose of the Executive Director role is to oversee the implementation of the mission
of the Presbytery of Geneva and Camp Whitman as chief steward of the resources of the Camp.
Responsibilities: Strategic and tactical work for which this role is accountable:
1. Function: Vision and Long-Range Planning
a. Work with the Camp Whitman Committee and the General Council to develop and
execute a long-term strategy and vision for the camp.
b. Participate in Presbytery discussions on vision planning and long-range planning.
c. Work with the Camp Whitman Committee to provide oversight and implementation of long-term camp facilities improvements.
2. Function: Financial Management
a. Develop and maintain annual budget and expenses in coordination with the Camp Whitman Committee.
3. Function: Promote & Raise Funds for Camp Whitman
a. Set dates and rates for annual camps and programs.
b. Develop and implement a marketing strategy for camp including print materials,
advertisements, website management and social media marketing.
c. Conduct tours, presentations and sales calls for interested groups, families and couples.
d. Organize fundraisers and fundraising appeals for general operating and scholarship support.
e. Seek opportunities for capital funds.
f. Seek opportunities for planned giving and endowment fundraising.
g. Write grants as necessary.
4. Function: Presbytery and Church Relations
a. Serve as an active member and colleague of the Presbytery staff.
b. Provide staff support for the Camp Whitman Committee, attending meetings and assisting the Committee in fulfilling its work.
c. Provide reports to the Presbytery Leader and the Presbytery of Geneva General Council as requested.
d. Attend all stated Presbytery of Geneva meetings for visibility and availability.
e. Provide regular reports to the Presbytery of Geneva and the Presbytery of Genesee Valley in collaboration with the Camp Whitman Committee.
f. Build relationships with churches and pastors in both Presbyteries.
5. Function: Community Relations and Partnership Development
a. Seek opportunities to develop relationships with potential new partner organizations.
b. Maintain and strengthen relationships with existing community partners.
6. Function: Personnel Management
a. Directly supervise the Operations Director, Director of Camper & Counselor Care, Program Director, Kitchen Manager, Registration Coordinator and Nurses.
b. Interface with Presbytery staff as well as Bookkeeper and Treasurer.
PO Box 24393
Rochester, NY 14624
315-220-0084 | EMAIL